I have been working on a side table for a while. I was having no luck with the base. I knew I wanted it to be metal but everything I came across was either too big, bulky or too tall. Well, my luck change when I found this old sewing machine base.
I like the rusty look but it was flaking too much so I applied a clear coating that helps control further rust.
The final product after some tweaking to attach the base to the top. I couldn’t be happier with the result.
I finally finish the mud room!
Remember the walls I was plastering?, well I have been painting them and trimming the door frames and wall openings; so I ended up with a few leftover pieces of wood frame from that project. It occurred to me that I could use those pieces to frame a couple of mirrors, so I did.
I decided to give them a bit up old finish look to go with the other pieces I will put in the room.
I took these photos with my phone, I am sorry for the poor quality. Once the room is put together I will have better ones. Enjoy! 🙂
A while ago I posted this chair before & after. This is one of two chairs I found at the bargain prize of $30 each. I refinished them and gave them new cushions. They still look good but needed a lighter look. The fabric I originally chose is a bit dark for the room. So I got my sewing machine and started the project.
I decided to go lighter and solid, this way I could use prints on the accent cushion covers and change them as I please. I love changing the house decor constantly and changing just the covers will be a lot easier.
This is the new look. The after photos show the 2nd chair which is a rocking chair. They both are very comfortable. It will be hard to replaced them. I am happy with the way they turned out 🙂
Our foyer and den have been under construction for quite a while. The reasons range between not being in the budget, to the arrival of new baby, to there is not enough hours in a day. Well, I had the idea that between baby naps I could get a stab at it and little by little it would get done. So, I decided to plaster.
My respect to plastering professionals has grown tremendously. Plastering is hard! It takes a lot of practice to get it right. It is not just putting mud and taping; it is the sanding. Oh the sanding! I had to do a lot of that to get the walls smooth. And just when I thought it was perfect and I primed the walls for painting it wasn’t. I had to put more mud, do more sanding, and use a lamp for a closer look.
I got better!
My advise for you is take your time and use a light to look for those imperfections. Trust me, they are there.
I have been working on my office nook . I already added cabinets top and bottom, but needed the top surface for the desk. I wanted it to be wood but the nook is not very deep and I would have to get a custom fit piece for the area. I didn’t want to spend too much on it, so I decided to take a different approach. I bought a door, trim and stain. The result: a fabulous desk top for less than $30.